At Chiro Clinic Moncton, I always provide my patients with advice and preventative measures to avoid any unnecessary degeneration of their body. The spine is composed of 24 moveable segments that include cervical, thoracic, and lumbar vertebrae. As people age, it becomes increasingly more difficult to keep these very important areas mobile, which results in progressively worsening stiffness and discomfort. It doesn't need to be this way!
In clinic, patients are typically interested in knowing what can help maintain better mobility for longer as they age, and therefore I'm happy to provide the following tips:
1. Extend The Spine - Office workers go through the entire day slouched at a computer desk and plumbers spend the majority of their workday bent over. Stand up regularly and arch the back. Stretch and look up at the sky!
2. Drink 2 Litres of Water Everyday - The human body thrives on adequate water consumption and most people aren't drinking enough. Water should be regarded as human "fuel" - without it, the body just doesn't function properly.
3. Stay Active (Even Just A Bit) - Spending a Sunday laying on the couch may sound enjoyable, but the human body hates the idea. The spine craves movement, as do all joints and muscles - so it's important to move a little bit each day. Smashing out 3 hours at the gym isn't necessary, walking 30 mins per day will do just fine.
4. Stretch The Neck - Headaches and neck stiffness are often a result of poor flexibility of surrounding muscles and joints. Sitting at a computer for 40 minutes demands very little neck movement, and therefore may predispose a person to unnecessary discomfort. Move it or Lose it.
5. See a Chiropractor - Many people see a dentist preventatively for check-ups to avoid tooth decay and cavities. The same should be done regarding spinal health. Keeping muscles and joints of the spine mobile as you age will surely provide better movement both now and later in life. People often take better care of their car, and completely neglect their own health. Being proactive is key.
Dr Ryan Coster is a Chiropractor practicing in Moncton NB who provides the community with exceptional treatment for muscle and joint injuries. Using the latest muscle techniques, gentle adjustments, and exercise prescription - he gets results fast! Call (506) 852-3900 for an Appointment.
29 Mountain Road - Moncton NB www.ChiroClinicMoncton.ca